- On May 24, 2017
When a bald eagle fell from a tree it didn’t go unnoticed. Fortunately, a Good Samaritan was in the vicinity and the stricken eagle was placed with animal caretakers.
Upon examinations, the eagle, since named Gulliver by his caretakers, was discovered to be suffering from severe lead poisoning. The lead level in his blood upon arrival was 94.2. Normal levels are in the 6-12 range. Gulliver most likely ingested spent lead ammunition contained in the carcass of an animal he was eating. The good news is Gulliver is doing well in his recovery at the Chadwell Animal Hospital in Maryland. Gulliver’s treatment is being paid for by a grand from the Sparrow Fund.
Wayne Pacelle and The HSUS have been campaigning for a ban on lead ammunition for just this reason. Read Wayne’s post on this issue citing Gulliver’s case.